A 32-year-old man Rajesh Maruti Maru was sucked into an MRI machine and killed after he walked into the room carrying an oxygen cylinder at governemnt run BYL Nair Charitable Hospital in Mumbai.
The incident occurred on January 27, 2018 around 7.30pm. The Agripada police has registred offence under sections 304 (a) of IPC against the hospital management and investigation is on.
According to eyewitnesses Harish Gopal Solanki (46) his relative Rajesh Maru, who worked as a salesman, entered the MRI room at the hospital carrying an oxygen cylinder which was helping his relative breathe. The metal in the cylinder activated the machine’s monstrous magnetic field, pulling in both the man and the cylinder with great force. His hand got stuck in the machine along with the cylinder triggering a massive oxygen leak.
Solanki said that his mother was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and Maru was with him at the hospital. They were waiting for the doctor outside the MRI room, when a ward boy attached to the ICU told them to take the oxygen cylinder inside.
“When we told him that metallic things aren’t allowed inside an MRI room, he said ‘sab chalta hai, hamara roz ka kaam hai’ (it’s fine, we do it every day). He also said that the machine was switched off. The doctor as well as the technician didn’t say anything. So we thought let’s just go in. But as soon as Rajesh entered with the cylinder, it turned out that the machine was on. He was sucked in and his hand got stuck there. His body swelled up and he couldn’t speak. He died in 2 minutes,” Solanki said. The ward boy has been suspended today.
Dr. Siddhant Shah, woman ward attendant Sunita Survey and ward boy Vitthal have been arrested into the matter. CM Devendra Fadnavis announced Rs. 500000 compensation to the deceased family.